PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Great Captain
Thread: Great Captain
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 11:41
Farty Flaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestorm,
Bt of thread creep re cc and a little tongue in cheek but...
Thats the problem its not being a nice bloke , it manifests itself as you ingratiating yourself in the possibly misguided belief that its team building and good for crm and that theyll like you more and well all be mates.
Its a nice gesture but totally unnecessary and its appreciated about as long as you remain their mate and not have to pull them up on anything(see below), nothing about high horses.
All it does is confuse people into identyfying "good crm" with the fiendly bloke in the cabin, not an effective approachable leader. Making brews , doing seat pockets and being a cheesy bugger doesnt make a good skipper. Try (if you have too)asserting your authority after doing seat pockets and your good blokeyness will evaporate faster than you can say " why does she think Im a posh git Im really nice to them". Or they say " hes such a tw@t typical flight deck why does he get two meals etc etc"
Been there done that ate hosty and read the pie. You see Im married to a colleague so its not my cynicism ( well not all) its genuine feedback from genuine cc.
Now as for the Pilot on the PA thing well as I said in my first paragraph first post , its an alarming coincidence that the ones that need to do this are the same ones who tend to have so much drama at work and always finish the day a hero.
You can lead your team effectively without compromising your position and you can address the pax without the theatrics.
Now if you want to get laid youd stand more chance not turning up in chinos and a sweater for the crew meal on layover and get em pissed enough to like you