PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 11th Jul 2007, 23:44
Codger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Per Rick Studder
"The article illustrates the need for some kind of public education with regards to go-arounds. Maybe it should be included in an FAQ in the inflight magazine... "

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Another comment about "Trust us we're the pros" gave me pause. I don't think that it's a matter of trust. Rather that all professionals are finding that the people that pay the bills want to know more about what is going on. My M.D. gets a lot of questions from me about exactly what he's going to do to my old carcass when I'm unconscious on the table. I do and have trusted him with my life but that doesn't mean that I don't want to know what is going on.

Also a good reminder to me that the Communicate part of Aviate, Navigate
and Communicate also applies to the folks out back.

Ah, for the days of the Vickers Viscount and a straight faced briefing that started with a welcome and a comment about how well everyone looked. One wouldn't want to be a badly turned out corpse should the worst happen would one. Never did it with the PA mic live. Potential unemployment was such a behavioural modifier.....