PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 9th Jul 2007, 20:27
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I frequently get a good laugh out of sensationalist reports of go arounds. Some are quite hilarious. Mr Kenny's is not the worst I've seen and amounts to no more than a filler that journalists waste their lives writing. But to be fair to the average passenger a go around is scary. I experienced only one as a pax. My gasp of exasperation because I knew I was about to miss my connection was misinterpreted by the woman beside me as fear and she glanced at me worriedly. I apologised and explained that most probably it was simply because the aircraft ahead was slow to clear the runway. Kudos to me when it was announced as exactly that. I explained go arounds and she relaxed.

Like it or not go arounds are a bit scary for the uninitiated and scary for those like Mr Kenny with a little knowledge.

It is surprising to me, sometimes just how little knowledge of flying so many passengers have despite the huge growth in air travel. It is still something of a mystery to many people. Every trivial incident seems to garner acres of newsprint. I'm not sure how this kind of negative attitude can be reversed.
So I guess we'll have to put up with this kind negative press.

I wonder if any of thought to contact Kenny directly and educate him a bit more. (Not abuse him) It would do no harm.