PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 9th Jul 2007, 16:36
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Lou Stulewater. I cannot tell you how many go-arounds I have seen flown inaccurately in years of training and examining. I have lost count of how many times I have briefed pilots that there is no point in flying a beautiful ILS if you then screw up the go around. I have also lost count of how many times I have told them that, if they screw up the go around, then they are also going to have to fly the ILS again.

Now that is not to say that we are talking about dangerous manoeuvres. We are talking about inaccuracies such as poor tracking etc.

Another consideration is that go arounds are normally practiced twice a year in the simulator. As often as not they are practiced at MLW with one engine out.

I once had to go around at LGW in a DC10-30 after a flight from LAX. The aircraft was very light and all engines were operating. The rate of climb when I hit the TOGA button was astronomic and it was quite difficult not to bust the missed approach altitude believe you me.

So, go around manoeuvres are normal manoeuvres but they are not practiced as often as some of our brethern seem to think is necessary.

The travelling public need to have little to fear sitting in the back whilst a go around manoeuvre is being flown. You are in safe hands but the guys in the front will be working quite hard for a little while so don't expect an immediate passenger announcement.