PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 9th Jul 2007, 15:13
Lou Stulewater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fireflybob,
my post is self explanatory.
however I have been involved in FDM analysis since its inception and responsible for its application in two uk companies.
I didnt say it isnt a normal maeuvere. I inferred that people dismiss them as a normal occurrence and not worth mentioning.. They are not. A landing should be the normal occurance from an approach.
I also stated that they are messed up to some degree. That means anything from poor tracking, speed control to piss poor flying and dangerous practice. You see thats the beautiful thing about the phrase I used.it covers the small to large errors. If such an alledged straightforward maneuvere causes so much hassle then why is it fobbed off as a non event? arrogance? probably. It isnt a non event and to act that it is indicates,from my 25 years in the business an accident waiting to happen from some skygod or other. Thats why we have fdm now.

How many times have you practiced go arounds on good engines in the sim from a non usual vertical or lateral position? Try it.ask the IP to insert it at random in the two days. Watch the fingers and thumbs, the poor fd work, tracking and flap discipline. Lets say ga 1600 feet flap 25, level off 2500feet with a turn at 185kt at x miles followed by a further climb and then aninstruction from atc to do something else. Ie not a briefed GA from decision alt at a familiar airport.
Or simpler at man go around at 350 feet. ..initial clean up roll mode 0 dme or 750'. I'll bet it gets screwed and the turn is missed due to a late roll mode, or the ga is cancelled due to ap selection because it wasnt in a set sequence that you practice so well.. I could go on ive seen many but quite frankly i cant be arsed anymore.

Rick .

good post. My thoughts exactly