PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 9th Jul 2007, 09:33
Final 3 Greens

"Its wheels slammed shut as we flew faster and faster, banking right and disappearing back into cloud. Passengers fell silent. The first thought that crossed my mind was that it was a near miss - and I just hoped hard that there was no light aircraft or flock of birds in our exit path."

The first and second sentences are factual the gear doors and struts can sound very much like a door being slammed if you are sitting in certain seats.

When I've experienced go arounds as an airline pax, the nervous silence (plus white faces) has been very noticeable, so the journo has no tried to sensationalise this obervation. He could have written about sheer panic, creaming pax annd weeping kids - but he didn't.

The second sentence is simply the immediate reaction of someone who does not understand what happened.

Finally, A4, as you are not a journalist, I suggest that you do not judge what is "crap", since you are doing to him exactly what you despise in his writing about your profession.

Jeez, give the guy a break and feed him some positive advise - you might get a half decent story out of this guy - he obviously thinks that G/A's are dangerous and we all know that they are not.

I've already emailed the editor to point out its a normal procedure and suggests he contacts IAP to get the flight deck percpective.