PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 9th Jul 2007, 07:30
Final 3 Greens

Then a mighty roar came from the engines and the aircraft's nose went up. Its wheels slammed shut as we flew faster and faster, banking right and disappearing back into cloud.

Passengers fell silent.

Then the pilot announced what had actually happened. A jet had been slow to clear the runway on which he was due to land

The episode was "absolutely routine", according to the Irish Aviation Authority.

She said that both pilots and air traffic controllers are trained for them.
According to the IAA, an Aer Lingus pilot on flight EI 169 himself requested a 'go-around', because of the effect of wind on his approach

You may not like the lack of comprehension of a normal procedure, but the piece did not strike me as being sensationalist and the writer seems to have spoken to the IAA and the airlines to investigate go arounds. In fact I would say that he has been careful to balance his (incorrect) perception of 'danger' with reassuring comments from the industry.

Rather than bitch about the guy, maybe a more constructive approach would be to contact him and offer the flight deck view.

Compared to the recent compost in the Daily Mail about the easyJet descent, I think this guy might actually be trying to get to grips with something that pilots understand very well, but that seems scary to those who don't.