PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 9th Jul 2007, 03:55
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a fact; go arounds scare the bejezus put of pax (and many cabin crew) and a reassuring PA from the captain as soon a s possible after the go around can do wonders in calming them down - (but only if the captain doesn't sound as rattled as they are)!

However, I've been a passenger on more than one occasion where we've had to go around and have heard absolutely nothing from the flight deck for the 20 minutes or more it took to make the second approach. (It's my habit to hand over to the FO as soon as we've completed the clean up and got everything squared away and make a PA, and if the weather is really marginal, to tell them of the possibility of a go around in my approach PA, including what it will involve, (pitch up, loud engine noise etc "basically, just like a take off"), stressing the fact that it's quite normal and something we practice in the simulator every six months.)

We would all agree that the article here is nothing more than sad yellow journalism at it worst, but too many of the punters we carry are all too willing to drink that kind drivel in. many with what appears to be unbridled enthusiasm. I don't know if it's not a subconscious desire by some people to want to think they've been involved in something dangerous so they can breathlessly pass on their 'close call with death' to friends and families.

It's on a par with the current equally sad journalistic practice of labelling any soldier who has so much as put his boot into a war zone as a 'hero'.