PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laundry tax rebate
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 10:19
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philrigger
The MOD has been advised by HMRC that letters received by the Swansea Tax Office on this subject will not be actioned.
Not actioned maybe but under an FOI request they must be responded to within 20 days!

On an unrelated matter I emailed HMRC and their website promised a response within 5 days. I got a same day personal response that answered my query.

If you accept that their argument is valid, in the normal course of events, then you should engage with HMRC and claim that your claim is outside the range of normal.

Officers, do check exactly what the uniform relief amounts to and compare this with the replacement cost of everyday items of uniform. You wil find that the allowance does not even approach the cost of an SD Hat (Cap), uniform shoes, No 1s/5s/6s etc.

Airmen etc, it the base laundry system actually effective? Do you have enough uniform to 'lose' items in the laundry system for a week? Does your working pattern allow you to use the system?

Incidentally, flying coveralls and engineer's coveralls should be laundered within the system as they are considered as contaminated and should not be put through your domestic laundry with the wife's knicks.

If you can then demonstrate additional expenses and not availability of public laundry then the HMRC would have no option but to allow you additional relief.