PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 09:52
Golf Charlie Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I went there last year and thought it looked familiar. I'll put up a few pictures later if I may. I'll happily cede control to someone else.

Floyd Bennett is located in southern Brooklyn, New York City, close to the water on Jamaica Bay. It can sometimes be spotted on certain approaches into/departures from JFK. It used to be one of the early New York airports, possibly (if I recall) actually the first commercial airport for the city. The terminal is a fine example of pre-WW2 airport architecture.

I must say I am not sure what aviation purposes exist there today. The main terminal, still seen in the picture above, is being restored slowly, and it's possible to climb up to the control tower. Also, one of the hangars on the other side of the field may be used for some aviation restoration purposes. Years ago it housed an old 377 Stratocruiser. I think it may be housing the Concorde there that has temporarily moved from the River Hudson site of the Intrepid museum while the ship is being restored.