PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boy pilot died after tower gave suprise instruction
Old 16th Jul 2007, 09:25
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilli Monster
...If you're on a touch and go and remaining in the circuit then it may suit my planning best to bring you to final and then send you around, landing the B737 / A319 / whatever behind you. ...\
This thread fairly frequently goes off on a "send the trainer around rather than the commercial jet" tangent - However, in this case it was a Merridian (which the salesman tells me handles and approaches similar to my Bonanza). So in the particular case, it was a matter of two aircraft that could expect to successfully mix with each other dozens of times a day at uncontrolled fields getting the controllers into a bit of a muddle (it appears primarily due to the late release from previous controller) resulting in the need to send someone around (a simple instruction that either pilot should have been able to execute from their positions).

Unfortunately as we all know, the student pilot didn't configure the aircraft properly for the maneuvor - which might have been partially due to controller instruction not being a simple 'go Around'.

I am consently reminded and surprised about how much harder the rules (and technology?) make controlling in the UK vs. the US - where mixing of much higher volumes of turbine and piston traffic happens on a daily basis in some pretty confined airspace. (Some day I will get a visit in a US tower and TRACON to see how they compare with the UK)