PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Flights in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 07:28
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR from LAS to LA area

Hola Stegger -
xxx
I am a stupid airline pilot (now from Argentina) but used to live in the LAX area from 1970 until 1990... And I know the area well, I still return there occasionally to visit friends, and deliver "retiring old 747" planes from desert airfields (or pick them up) to deliver them to new operators. Flying a "VFR mission" there with a small plane is somewhat of a complicated area. Air traffic is rather very heavy in all azimuths. Actually I hardly ever did VFR there, was easier for me to file IFR if needed to go anywhere from A to B. By chance that area has good weather, in October, most will be CAVOK. And sceneries are great, plenty of airfields.
xxx
From North Vegas airport (little GA field about 5 NM NW from KLAS) you can head if you wish, to the Grand Canyon area beyond Lake Mead, located 10 NM SE of KLAS, then head East for the Grand Canyon area. Terrain elevation quite high.
xxx
However to fly to the LA Basin from Vegas, I would head along the freeway to the SW, towards Barstow and Daggett (Daggett VOR), half way from Vegas to Daggett, you will be in the Death Valley area, small airport there. South of Daggett, you can find the Apple Valley airfield if you want to land there (near Victorville, former George AFB, a place where lots of retired airliners are parked there, I go there often). I occasionally go to Mojave airfield as well, also hundred of airliners parked there, West of Edwards AFB. Last time I was there was 2 yrs ago to pick-up some ex-Virgin 747s to deliver to the Russian TransAero airline.
xxx
In the LA area, I would avoid playing VFR to the large airports, LAX, BUR or ONT. However there are nice GA airfields.
xxx
One that might interest you is Chino airfield, between Ontario airport and Riverside (March AFB). There is a nice aviation museum there with some 50 airplanes from the past eras. Good little restaurant there, with cheap Mexican food. Most people who fly light aircraft in the LA area go to VNY (Van Nuys airport) or, if need to be close to downtown LA, fly to SMO Santa Monica airport) - plenty of FBO places to park your aircraft, in VNY or SMO). SMO is closest airport to Malibu Beach, 35 minutes drive. And about Van Nuys VNY, they have an "Airtel" (concept of motel, but not for cars, but airplanes, therefore named "Airtel"). You can walk from ramp with your bag to check-in for the night.
xxx
Immediately outside LA (NW areas) I used to have friends who owned planes based in Santa Paula, some 45 NW of LAX. Also cheap restaurant there. In Santa Paula, some L-29 Delfin Czech trainers for sale at that location. Some people also like to go to Catalina, island located West of Santa Monica. Lots of private fliers like the thrill of some 20 NM "overwater".
xxx
There are a lot of publications available to supplement VFR sectionals, as far as airfield diagrams, and tower frequencies. You can acquire them before your departure from North Vegas, they got a little pilot supply store there. Consider even buying a road map for general orientation of cities and main roads. Consider also a Jeppesen Low Altitude IFR map for help, they have lots of info not found on VFR sectional charts. See also the Jeppesen Los Angeles area chart.
xxx
No need to tell you that air traffic is heavy in all these areas, both airline and private VFR/IFR. And lots of people fly on weekends. So it might be busy. ATC is busy as well, and might not be able to provide VFR assistance. I guess you know your can fly VFR point to point at night in the USA... VFR flight plans are not required in the US but strongly recommended. And in the US, there are FSS Flight Service Stations, who will provide you with MET reports. The FSS around LA call sign is "Hawthorne Radio". FSS standard frequencies are published on charts. Remember they speak in statute miles for visibilities, but now use ºC for temperatures. Some towers shut down at night (like SMO or VNY), but be sure to make position reports on that frequency for other traffic if someone else is landing or taking off.
xxx
American beer is still horrible as usual, but you might find some Guinness at times. The only half way decent US beer is Sam Adams... when you need to wet your throat for debriefing.
xxx
I see you are from Brighton... Often go there when operating to LGW as I prefer Brighton than staying a weekend in Crawley, and dont want to suffer your M-25 to go anywhere. Good luck for your trek to LA - Should you need any suggestions, PM me, I might have some phone numbers or contacts for you.
xxx

Happy contrails