PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Engine Scare
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 06:12
pakeha-boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote..But the aircraft is certified for single engine ops its a normal abnormal condition

..very true and nobody here would argue that.....

from what Ive read this engine was not shut down as a precautionary measure..it was shut down because it had to be,due to the fact it was coming apart...which now puts it in an"abnormal abnormal condition"........because when one comes apart.....you may know the engine has gone,but what of other damage due to debris damage

....most two engine aircraft are designed to T/O and land with all engines running...a little sarcastic for sure........but my point relates to the use of emergency euipment,its use,why and when we should use it......

for me....my company(and I agree)that anytime an engine is shutdown,whether it be "us" shutting it down to "save it" or it shuts down by itself(and there is a big difference)....we a required to have and request emergency vehicles availble.......I know some will disagree...... but its no money out of my pocket and no skin off my nose......

...unless you have climbed out the window,inspected,and know the true extent of the damage...you are dealing with unknowns...it would be my preference to have services avaible just in case the situation turns to custard......dont really think thats asking a lot ...PB