PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bud Holland's Low Pass at Yakima Range.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 01:52
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the USAFs requirement for moving senior officers around to get promoted has much to do with the Holland story. My understanding is he had stayed at Fairchild for many years and had "seen them come and seen them go". The "them" being commanders on the way up. For someone in command, the instinctive answer to a Bud Holland is to not raise to much stink as it might stick to them and their careers. So, give a stiff finger verbal reprimand, try to hold him in check long enough to move on to a new billet and promotion. Col Pellerin was enroute to a Wing Commander's job until the facts caught up to him. JAGs that worked for Pellerin thought he got a raw deal (!).

I had a rogue in one of my squadrons, broke rules, got the job done at the expense of the crew. Myself and others had to forcefully twist the wing commander's arm to make him face was the problem. He liked the guy because he accomplished any mission. The squadron hated him,we finally beat the wing commander into agreeing. JUST before he committed armed robbery of the base shoppette. Go figure.

Ultimately, only a bunch of integrity and willingness to put your career on the line can stop these guys. If he didn't crash, and he might not have, he could have gone on to retirement a respected officer and pilot.

GF