PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft static altimeter max permisible tolerance on ground?
Old 16th Jul 2007, 01:08
Captain Punishment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light aircraft static altimeter max permisible tolerance on ground?

I am after a definitive answer to a dispute that I have running with the guy who runs my flying group, if anyone could possibly help?

Both altimeters were under reading by 100ft on the ground before the aircraft went into a recent annual and C of A, it has came out the same, still under reading by 100ft on the ground. (surely this a should be calibrated as a matter of course during C of A regardless of me asking especially for it to be done??)

I asked for the altimeters to be calibrated as I feel that they are too far out. I was under the understanding that anymore than 50 or 60ft is unacceptable and am not at all happy that they are in error by 100ft.

The guy who runs the group, "in his opinion" (not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination!) sees this 100ft deviation as perfectly acceptable and he will not contact the maintenance company to determine if they have calibrated the altimeters nor will he put the aircraft back in to have it looked at as it does not see it necessary.

I have emailed CAA SRG (no reply!) to see what is the max permissible tolerance for a light aircraft altimeter so I can add fact / regulation to my argument.

I am the only guy in the group that is certified to fly IFR and the group runner feels that it is ok for him and other members to fly around VFR with 100ft under read on the altimeter. I don't feel that anymore that 50 or 60ft is acceptable.

The error of 100ft on the ground will increase with altitude and become more of a problem with separation etc at higher levels.

Any comments on this would be very much appreciated, along with possibly a technical doc / article / web link to support what tolerance is acceptable as per regulations