PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boy pilot died after tower gave suprise instruction
Old 15th Jul 2007, 22:58
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JESUS! I've seen some crap written in my time but this thread is really starting to take take the biscuit

Flower, aviator84 - first solo is a confidence booster, plus the licence issuance requirements determine x amount of dual time and y amount of solo time. It's worked in the past, it'll work in the future and has no bearing in this accident (I went solo in less than 3, licence in 20 - didn't do me any harm).

Perusal - it's not your airspace, contrary to your opinion. You are mandated to provide access under an authority from DAP, and to provide access to that airspace to all airspace users when appropriate and able to do so.

Single Sprey - I don't tell you how to fly your aircraft, you don't tell me how to efficiently handle my traffic. If you're on a touch and go and remaining in the circuit then it may suit my planning best to bring you to final and then send you around, landing the B737 / A319 / whatever behind you. It works, it's accepted practice, it's efficient and it's good training for the student provided you don't do anything stupid with them afterwards. Far more useful to the pilot than spending all afternoon going round in circles downwind! If you think you can do better - get yourself a licence if you think you've got the stones for it

Married a Canadian - Read the report, no.1 was a trainer who wanted a touch and go - why land it? Go around was the better option (as I explained above)

Vector801 - sorry mate, doesn't matter inexperienced you are once you have that certificate of competence signed then the buck stops with you. Cover your ar$e always

If this accident has proved anythng from an ATC perspective - keep it standard, or get bitten