PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spruce Goose to re-open tho the public
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2001, 06:48
Cyclic Hotline

Thumbs up

Well I happened to be passing the other day so popped in to check it out. In the first week, they had pulled in 8,000 visitors - not bad!

The first impression is the remarkable and striking building it is housed in. Very functional, daylit and HUGE.

Everything is still new, and a lot has the feeling of being unfinished. Apparently the official opening isn't until November, and the Spruce Goose is not completed yet, with all the control surfaces lying on the floor (this in itself is quite interesting, as you can see the construction techniques up close). The aircraft interior is not accessible at this time, much to the consternation of many visitors, I'm not sure what the schedule for that is.

I think that the Spruce Goose, in its current state, really shows the continuing folly of the entire project - and it still goes on. It is not inappropriate that Evergreen are the current curator.

There are some nice warbirds in there as well. A nice Corsair, Lightning, Spit, Me-109, P-40.

It's a bit vacant at the moment, and certainly like walking into someone's hangar while they are at work (but gone for lunch).

If you haven't seen the Spruce Goose before, it's certainly worth visiting. The view of the aircraft through the glass front of the building is very impressive. As far as going a long way to see it, I'd wait until the entire project is finished and they get everything organised.

One of the museum staff said that for the official opening they hoped to have Colin Powell and various other dignitaries there(possibly even the President!), but that sounded a lot like Evergreen to the core. It will be interesting to see how deep Del's roots run in Washington D.C., and how many paybacks he will be able to call in, here in his ultimate moment of philantrophy.

Certainly worth a visit.
http://sprucegoose.org/