PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737-200 callouts during short final
Old 15th Jul 2007, 15:44
waav8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Quote:
First bit "Plus 5 (or Plus 10)": refers to speed above Vref
Maybe - maybe not"

Ehh well A37575, in this particular case (EGHH based airline owned by petrol head from Downunder) - there is no maybe - maybe not, it definitely IS (above Vref that is)! And I concur - if you are going to do something like this, it would make far more sense to have TARGET airspeed as reference for the variations in the calls, rather than Vref. You would think that if you actually fly EXACTLY what you have said you are going to fly, for instance target airspeed Vref plus 10 knots - that you would be rewarded with a bit of peace and quiet as you are concentrating on the task at hand, but no - you would still hear "plus ten - sink whatever".

And I suppose, that's what can be as you say; " nothing more annoying and dangerously distracting than the PNF keeping up a more or less continuous chatter of unnecessary calls." Not sure about the dangerous bit, but annoying - oh yeah!

As i said in my initial post, there may be pros and cons about this, but in my mind - thankfully, it hasn't cought on in the industry.