PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting on Final
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2007, 12:37
a4fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-EMMA.

Don't even think about it !

This report shows that even experienced, professional people (A.T.C. in this case) can find it demanding trying to juggle a multitude of different aircraft types at once. They react in the same way as pilots when their workload starts to rise. Hence the criticisms that you read here regarding their instructions to the Cessna.

I learnt to fly at Thruxton and believe it to be ideal for P.P.L. training. It has only A/G but they are very good at their job. One very rarely sees situations developing that could be dangerous unlike the circus of a busy A.T.C. airfield that has P.P.L. training taking place along side commercial operations. My view is that you have made the right decision about your training base. I'm sure that you are perfectly capable of making an orbit at low level, but let's not tempt the devil for a while, at least.

If you find yourself on final in a situation that you don't like, forget whether you are at an A.T.C. airfield or not. Take control of the situation and TELL THEM you are going around. Concentrate on flying the aeroplane until you have created some spare capacity for yourself and then worry about fitting into the traffic pattern.