PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swept wing stalling
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2007, 01:33
Swanie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Well, having actually fully stalled a swept wing aeroplane (Lockheed TriStar) while a Lockheed test pilot was in the RHS keeping an eye on progress, strange as it may seem to most here, the nose pitched gently down...not up."

Well I can't argue with what you say you've observed first hand, and as I've never even flown a swept wing aircraft, I can't post my experiences, my posts only come from my CASA theory, supposedly based on the B767.

A quote from the AFT systems notes;
  • "A disadvantage of sweepback is the tendency to stall tip first (especially if combined with wing taper) due to strong spanwise flow at high angles of attack. This can cause a pitch up at the stall as the CP moves forwards and in. The poor stall characteristics of a plain swept wing often necessitates the use of features such as washout, flow fences, slats and leading edge flaps to modify the stall pattern. Artificial stall warning devices (stick shakers/pushers) may be required"
  • "A forwards CP movement generates a nose up pitch moment which can help to accelerate the aircraft into a more thoroughly stalled condition."
I'm sure the stalling characteristics vary with aircraft