PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swept wing stalling
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2007, 21:20
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Healey

I hope that the quote from Handling the big jets has clarified it all for you.

If not and you feel you may have to explain or justify what you say in answer to the original question then in your postion I would say:

1 It varies according to the particular type

2 A simple swept wing with no twist and a constant aerofoil from root to tip will inevitably stall at the tips first due to spanwise flow hence the aircraft will pitch up

3 However many design features are used today to change this simple situation. These include washout, fences, leading edge notches and in particular a variation in the type of aerofoil used at the root compared with the tip.

4 Only with a knowledge of all these issues can one conclude nose up or nose down.

5 From a certification point of view only an aircraft nose down pitch is acceptable. This may have to be achieved artificially by using a pusher.

In general beware of questions that ask for a simple yes/no or black/white answer when the topic is complex. By agreeing to such an answer (by guessing for instance) then you may well be showing that you do not understand the topic. "I don't think there is a simple general answer to that question that would apply to all types so I would need more information before even hazarding a guess" can never get you into trouble and should result in a rather less general and more specific question that you will be happier with. They just want to get you to talk after all. Questions are for exams questions at interview are to get you talking.

If you want to be a pilot NEVER be afraid to say "I don't know. I would need help with that"