PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boy pilot died after tower gave suprise instruction
Old 14th Jul 2007, 16:11
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 435 Likes on 229 Posts
Some info about the following aircraft type (gleaned from planeandpilotmag.com) :
Typical approach speeds are essentially the same as those for the Piper Mirage, 90 to 100 knots, and if you touch down at 80 knots, the manual suggests not to use reverse below 60 knots to avoid possible prop damage. That means you’ll only be in reverse for a few seconds should you elect to use it. Jones says he sticks to beta mode when he needs a little extra braking and prefers to stay away from full reverse altogether (that only delivers about 70% thrust anyway).
The airplane is a flexible machine, comfortable and stable if you need to shoot an ILS into DFW at 120 knots, but it will as easily accept an 80-knot short-field effort into an unobstructed 2,500-foot strip. There’s no reason any pilot with a modicum of time in Bonanzas, Centurions, Saratogas or the like shouldn’t adjust to the Meridian in a few hours.
I think it is important to put one thing in perspective. A student on his/her second solo is likely to be working to the limit of his capacity just to get the aircraft around the circuit and safely back on the ground. Anything above the norm is likely to overload him. I watched a good friend of mine crash a JP3A on his second solo. After a self determined go around from a steep approach, he received a message from the tower along the lines of "Land and report to the tower on landing". The second landing resulted in very severe PIO and a crash from about 150 feet onto the runway. Thankfully, he survived, despite sitting on a live ejection seat which could have gone off, due to damage to the cockpit floor. He wasn't lacking in natural ability, he proved that by going on to win the course flying prize and later became a fighter pilot and a B747 captain.

I felt obliged to intervene (I called across "No - let her land, please!"; I was sitting in the tower, observing) when the RAF tower controller told my first solo UAS student to go around and change frequency to the tower alternate simply because her finals call was very quiet. He wasn't impressed at first, but after she had landed safely I explained that she was unlikely to cope with a mandated go-around and fiddling with the radio. He saw my point.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 14th Jul 2007 at 17:07.