PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quickest from brakes off to 1000' agl?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2007, 15:53
Frelon

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I agree, can't beat a Mk 111. I was involved with the making of a COI promotional film for the Air Cadets many moons ago and a Whirlwind helicopter was commandeered to be used as a camera platform to do the filming. After some initial briefing the helicopter pilot decided that the best way to film the launch of the Mk 111 was to take off at the same time as the glider and film the winch launch. Anyway when I reached 1000ft and looked down I could see a very noisy heli trying to catch up with me! After some debriefing after that flight the helicopter pilot suggested for the next flight he wait at the top of the launch!! The cameraman also said that I should not look at the helicopter, it might spoil the shot! Anyway I got to the top of the launch, the helicopter approached and flew alongside me, very noisily. I think I did look at the helicopter a couple of times - sorry Mr Cameraman. Nevertheless I still hold the memory of the helicopter trying to catch me up on the launch. I think the helicopter pilot learnt something that day.
The associated music was a Beatles song, I seem to remember. Would be good to see the film again if anybody knows where to look.
Oh bugger! He mentioned "brakes"! No brakes on Mk111's

Last edited by Frelon; 16th Jul 2007 at 18:36. Reason: Re-read of original posting!