PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2007, 13:49
Alicia.C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 1 Renewal

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind helping. I have checked CAA's website but cannot find answers to these questions, and unfortunately the CAA Aeromedical Centre is closed over the weekend and I cannot get hold of my AME until late next week.

I recently went for a Class 1 renewal but was referred to an optician because the AME felt I may be slightly short sighted. I went to an optician the next day and yes I am now slightly short sighted but enough to warrant glasses or contact lenses for Class 1 purposes. I was asked by the optician to consult the CAA before purchasing glasses or contact lenses so as to ensure they are suitable for flying.

If I remember correctly from groundschool, I will be required to carry two pairs of glasses (not including prescription sunglasses). I presume carrying prescription sunglasses in addition to the two others is not required, but desirable. Also if I opt for contact lenses and wear those during flying, do I still need to carry two pairs of normal glasses, or does this reduce to one pair?

I am also a bit puzzled on all the options being offered by the optician, such as anti-glare and hard coating, tinting (light transmission factor and light absorption factor) and polarising lenses. I am told that polarising lenses offer 100% glare reduction and 100% UV protection, but if I remember correctly, polarising lenses are not suitable for flying. I presume tinted lenses are also not permitted, but that the anti-glare and hard coating service would be permissable.

One last thing, I presume the AME will not revalidate my Class 1 until he sees both the prescription and the glasses. I ask because the optician says the glasses could take around a week to make, and whilst obviously I will not fly, I wonder if the AME will revalidate my Class 1 on the prescription alone (and thereby mark my certificate) without needing to see me with my glasses on.

If anyone could shed any light on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.