PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 14th Jul 2007, 09:24
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chug, the MoD is quoting 2 weeks to convert Js and 4 weeks to convert Ks. I am not sure about the RAAF program, I think it too is a combination of J and K. The reason I arranged for the latest PQ was to put right some of the outrageous crap the Defence Minister was saying with regard to the RAF Foam program. It looks like things are improving. My own contacts assured me that a couple of months ago every single K had developed leaks. More irritating for Lyneham is the fact that the aircraft were delivered with leaks and that it was Lyneham engineers who discovered the leaks. I believe you are right Chug about saving money. The sealant process required a test flight during the sealant process. This was denied by the contractor and the following chaos was easy to predict.

The way this program has been handled, its tardiness and incompetence, highlights the basic fact that vast areas of the MoD empire are continuing as though we are not at war and it does not matter. Summed up by the bumbling dual hatted Minister in charge.

Take another look at these answers in May.

Hercules Aircraft
Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence pursuant to the answer of 21 March 2007, Official Report, column 925W, on Hercules aircraft, if he will take steps to ensure that Hercules aircraft being fitted with explosive suppressant foam are flown to flex the wings after the sealant is applied but before the foam is put in place. [136695]
Mr. Ingram: The replacement of the fuel tank sealant is only undertaken on the Hercules C-130K aircraft. Flying the aircraft between fuel tank sealant replacement and fitting Explosion Suppressant Foam (ESF) would introduce unacceptable delays to this urgent programme. Therefore, quality assurance processes are used to ensure that it is not necessary to fly the Hercules C-130K aircraft after the fuel tank sealant has been replaced but before ESF is fitted.

17 May 2007 : Column 845W

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence pursuant to his answer of 21 March 2007, Official Report, column 925W, on Hercules aircraft, how long it has taken for each Hercules aircraft being fitted with explosive suppressant foam to return to active service; and if he will make a statement. [136696]

Mr. Ingram: The Hercules C-130K Explosion Suppressant Foam (ESF) modification takes approximately 44 days per aircraft to complete. The less complex Hercules C-130J modification takes approximately 16 days. The difference in time scale between the two marks of aircraft is due to the need to replace the fuel tank sealant on the older C-130K. In order to improve overall aircraft availability to the front line command, the ESF modification has been combined with scheduled maintenance wherever possible.

Utter b*****t. One aircraft completed in 44 days. No requirement to fly because of the urgent requirement but 75% returned. Rank incompetence, the only quality on offer here.