PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Land or Go Around?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2007, 06:40
sudden Winds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well PK-KAR sorry for my mistake about the MD-11.
As for the rest of your quotes, again....I was just sumarizing a set of scenarios that would put the aircraft in a sensitive situation if a go around is executed. My "unideal fuel status" comment didnīt go as far as minimum fuel status that would deserve a notification to ATC, but just maybe a "just enough fuel" scenario (hope I am clearer with this one)
There seems to be a "by the book" response for almost every scenario, but things could go a lot worse than planned and when ingredients start to add up, you and I know the mixture could be "flammable" so to say.
Now pls donīt think I am trying to get a shortcut and just land in order to avoid having to go thru the hassle of following a lost comm procedure....thatīs not what I am trying to say. What I am saying is that thereīs a combination of situations that in my opinion COULD justify landing.
All your explanations would definitely get very good score in a sim, where you just turn the motion off, but in reality, introducing all the variables possible, different languages, unfamiliar places, no extra fuel, etc. a landing on a visibly clear runway should not be considered a crime. It īs a measure to get a pontentially conflicting airplane out of the system. And it is my interpretation that if you īve lost comm you can remain VMC and land at an appropriate airport and sort things out at 0 knots, with a fuel flow of 0 pph, etc etc etc...you īre not breaking the law and shouldnīt be hanged for doing that. Itīs contemplated in the books too.
It seems that some of you think that if you land without a clearance youīre completely unprotected or exposed and involved in a legal scandal. I still donīt see why that should happen. I said more than once that I would seriously consider a go around, but I keep saying that would not only consider a go around, but also the other option. As pilots we always have a set of choices and what Iīve been trying to say is that I donīt believe that going around is the ONLY CORRECT choice here for all the possible scenarios and their combinations.
Regards and thank you.
SW.