PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting on Final
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 20:56
microlight AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have awaited this report with interest as the accident happened shortly after I first went solo. My first inclination was to suspect that the aircraft had stalled as it turned base leg onto final. In the end it was a similar problem I suppose. My instructor haunts me every time I fly " watch your speed!" was his most common advice in the landing configuration (Eurostar).
I am particularly disturbed by two aspects:

1. After being cleared to land (#1) the Cessna was asked to turn away when on final. I would never expect an aircraft ahead of me on approach to a runway to have to alter course to accomodate me. (Except if an emergency had been declared). I had it hammered into me that every landing is a go around unless everything is spot on. the observations regarding ATC practice seem reasonable and , hopefully, address this concern particularly with regard to overloading an inexperienced pilot.

2. hours logged in previous 28 days - 4 hours !!! I know that the weather can cause havoc to a training programme, but this seems to exemplify just how most PPL training is subject to cash flow and/or time available for the task. I strongly believe that a more concentrated series of lessons helps you keep on top of the task, that was certainly the case for me.

I went solo after about 20 hrs at the grand age of 46. I wasn't in any particular hurry to get through that loop, every moment in the air with or without my instructor from beginning to end was brilliant.

One last thought... This terrible accident seems to justify the phrase "Aviate, navigate, communicate".

Fly safe everybody.

Last edited by microlight AV8R; 13th Jul 2007 at 20:59. Reason: Keyboard/ finger interface malfunction