PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO phraseology vs UK phraseology - and where does CAP 413 fit in?
Old 13th Jul 2007, 20:46
Spitoon

ICAO phraseology vs UK phraseology - and where does CAP 413 fit in?

I've been thinking about this for a while and I haven't really come to any conclusions. So I offer it for wider discussion.

I'm a UK controller. My phraseology guide is that contained in MATS Part 1 and, to an extent, CAP 413. We know that the UK has some differences to ICAO phraseology - CAP 413 even lists them in an appendix now. Some of these differences seem unnecessary although others appear to address an obvious potential for misunderstanding (but perhaps only to a native speaker) in the ICAO phraseology and I support them fully. Even for those variations that seem unnecessary, someone has gone to the trouble of devising them so I suppose there must be some justification that I just don't see.

Now, in theory, in the UK, I guess CAP 413 phraseology should be used - wherever the pilot/aircraft may come from - that's one reason why States have to file differences with ICAO. But as a controller who speaks to aircraft driven by pilots of many different nationalities, I recognise that some pilots may not immediately understand or be familiar with our local phraseology. So I am aware of the ICAO standard phraseology and will switch to it if it will help to ensure that a pilot understands what I am saying (although I don't think there is any CAA requirement for me to be able to do so - indeed, it may even be frowned upon by the boys from Aviation House).

So far, so good.

As I understand it, however, pilots gaining their licences in the UK are examined using examinations that are common to all JAA/EASA member States and these examinations are based on ICAO phraseology. As far as I am aware, there is no supplemental examination in UK-specific phraseology.

So what is the point of CAP 413? If my understanding of the situation is correct, pilots are not examined on its contents. But the day after gaining their licence, nominally, they should use phraseology that they have not needed to learn and have not demonstrated their knowledge of. It's conceivable that a UK-licensed pilot may well be confused by a controller who is using UK standard phaseology.

And what of the UK differences that obviously address weaknesses in the ICAO standards - are these safety measures now effectively undermined?