PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting on Final
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 20:30
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if anybody is going to have a word with the instructor? If I was teaching somebody to fly I would make sure they know that when they are off solo they don't do anything they are unhappy about; to hell with ATC.

As I've said before, I don't like the whole way the PPL is taught. You spend hours banging circuits (which most normal people really dislike, due to the intense pressure), and there is a lot of pressure to go solo but that solo circuit actually does absolutely nothing for your level of competence. If I was teaching somebody I care about to fly I would not let them go solo until they were really at home with everything. Then, going solo is a non-event and there is no need to stay in the circuit - you may as well go somewhere for real.

One reason for circuits is to teach the touch and go. In reality one almost never does that. I've had to do a few go-arounds (all of them due to previous traffic not clearing in time, or somebody entering the runway) but once the wheels are on the ground the safest objective is to STOP. A departure from the landing config is highly unsafe.