PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East lost its golden touch!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 17:03
Lock n' Load

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As usual in threads of this kind, there is an element in some posts of FIFO - "fit in or ***k off!"
The thing is, it's perfectly normal in western countries to have a whinge at the government/schools/traffic/etc and usually no one says "if you don't like it, you know the way to the airport." Granted, the sandpit is not western but most of the expats in aviation are.
It's only fair for those considering a move to this part of the world to get a fair view of what life here is like ahead of time. You won't get it from a Middle East employer and you won't get it from a week's holiday. I say bring on the whinges but keep them balanced. We could be doing someone a BIG favour by reporting the facts.
I'm leaving the sandpit soon, not because of SALIK or heat or declining living standards but because someone special isn't here! Now that I am leaving though, I can see through the gloss. So, let's have a warts and all, truthful look at life here....
The Good:
Cheap(ish) cars and gas/petrol
Cheap domestic help
Cheap eating available
Lovely winter weather
Sports opportunities, off road driving, watersports, etc
Great mix of expats, often fun to work with
A great opportunity to understand different cultures, particularly the local one
Low crime rate
Learning UAE English; "what is your good name sir?", "do you have a dirham?"
The Bad:
It's never going to be home
Expensive education, not usually covered in full by allowances
Major inflation, particularly in housing costs
Pay rises do not happen every year
Many of the items you're told are cheap here are actually more expensive than in the west
A greater likelihood of dying on the roads here than back home
Stressful commutes (except for Emirates crew in their chauffeur-driven cars!)
If certain nationalites hit you with their cars, it's your fault
Stealth taxes
Poor air quality
Absolutely nothing to do in the summer except drink
Ramadan for non-Muslims
Paying Dhs20 for a 99p/$2 price-marked food item
Expensive food and beer in hotels
Lots and lots of customer service, and all of it cr*p
Mindless bureaucracy and needing a letter of no objection from your employer to take a leak
Okay, so one or two points may be exagerated, but you get the point. Dive on in and add to the list people!

Last edited by Lock n' Load; 13th Jul 2007 at 17:05. Reason: spelling and punctuation errors...