PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Aircraft Struggling
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 17:00
saracenman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
point taken!

yep, i know it was pre "dera" but what were the real reasons (the 'old-fasioned image' was the only one i heard at the time) the mod retired her? everyone i spoke to at BD at the time thought it mad. led to believe that spares/maintainence weren't issue (nimrod?) so WHY?
quite agree re flying vs. rotting but rumour at time was US buyer looked to stick her on a pole in vegas!
followed news closely after she was withdrawn from philips auction the day before and seem to remeber that she was 'donated to DH hatfield' (?) and would be hangered and loved and plans for continued flight. kinda missed the next news updates and next thing i knew was she was at brunt. what happend?
my part in campaign clearly backfired i know but at the time it was unthinkable that the LAST example of the WORLDS FIRST jetliner should end up on a stick - hence furious writing.
heritage - quite agree: always seems to be an up-hill sruggle in UK. so many priceless icons seem to get willfully destroyed by determined people - look whats happened recently at cosford. nothing new (remember last vulcan B1 cut up!)
would be nice to save everything but i know that's unworkable. even so there are some things which, in historic building terms, would be classed as grade 1. comet/vulc/victor/lanc/welly/vc10/conc...the list goes on. what's going on? 558s learning curve with 'complex' a/c might help future schemes?
imagine national outcry if BBMF met with gas-axe! why not others?

if only i had a long sharp stick...