PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting on Final
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 12:47
D SQDRN 97th IOTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucy Lastic
Why don't you read more closely what I said.
a) don't try to land with another aircraft on the runway, unless you can be sure you have room to do so.
I only landed having received clearance - doesn't my post say this? The other aircraft which was waiting didn't actually line up - I didn't say this in the post, but why would you wait at 200ft? You have to take immediate action.
b) Orbiting at such a late stage may be a good way of getting the spacing required, but you would be backing up a lot of others behind you - certainly here.
Who said anything about spacing? It was to comply with a strange ATC instruction "hold position." How else do I hold without falling out the sky unless I orbit?
c) ATC would have been within their rights to have told you to go-around, and I'm surprised they didn't.
ATC could well have told me to go around if the other aircraft had started to line up. They didn't. It didn't. I could have elected to go around, and would have done if there had been other traffic behind me - but as there was no other traffic behind me and nothing in the circuit, I chose to comply with the unusual instruction because I felt it safe to do so.
All clear now?