PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 67 and other RAF squadrons Burma?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 11:05
Cubdriver06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defense of Rangoon

I wrote the long history of the AVG, Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942, which contains quite a bit about 67 Squadron and the several Hurricane squadrons that came to Rangoon in January and February 1942, notably RAF 17 Squadron. A very detailed, day-by-day account is in the first two volumes of Christopher Shores, Bloody Shambles, published by Grub Street in 1992 and 1993. A wonderful book about one of the 67 Squadron pilots, Vic Bargh, is available in New Zealand. Neal Frances: Ketchil. For its availability elsewhere, see Neal's posting on the Warbird Forum. Vic is still alive and evidently doing well. I talked to him by phone several years ago; that interview is posted at my website Annals of the Flying Tigers which also contains much else about the AVG and some about the RAF.

The Operational Record Book of 67 Squadron (incomplete) is at the National Archives (formerly Public Records Office) at Kew outside London.

My email address should be on file here. Feel free to ask what you'd like to fill out the above.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford