PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Valedictory Letters - Oh sorry, here's a certificate instead
Old 13th Jul 2007, 08:27
threeputt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Gus Walker"

Back in 1974 or 5, I was a Vulcan Nav Rad and was at RAF Waddington at a combined 50/61 Sqn Dining-In night with Sir Gus as the senior guest.

Two things stand out from that night, firstly no matter how long it is since one has lost an arm, the brain still thinks it is still attached! I say that because Sir Gus was for ever waving his empty right sleeve at his old mates trying to attract their attention. Secondly, the love and affection that only a real leader of men can engender in his subordinates.

I was sat on the middle leg of the table and was surrounded by an ex-50 Sqn Lancaster crew (bar one who had recently passed away) whom between them had 5 DSO's, 10 DFC's and a couple of DFM's. As Sir Gus rose to his feet to give his after dinner speech they, along with all the other wartime aircrew there, rose to greet him with shouts and cheers that went on for at least two minutes. My new aquaintences had tears rolling down their cheeks when they sat down to listen to him. After his speech, a lot of the younger diners also had tears in their eyes, I know I did.
Truly he must have been one of the very greatest of our RAF leaders.

RIP Sir Gus

3P