PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Techniques for locating other aircraft visualy
Old 12th Jul 2007, 23:07
Özcan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Techniques for locating other aircraft visualy

Hello!

From the latest 2 of my flights, i have noticed a pretty severe weakness in my flying. I'm having troubles locating other planes visually, even when the atc tells me exact bearings it can sometimes take me up to 15-20 seconds to spot a plane, aspecially if the distance is noticable.

Other people i have flown with tend to have a very easy time spotting other aircrafts. Many of them have been flying gliders and competing in it so it's of course a second nature to them.

My eyesight is very well, i can see well above 1,0 with both eyes in jaeger 3 system and colorsight is perfectly fine. So i draw the conclusion that my technique has to be the missing link. Or could it be a high mental workload that causes this?

I'm flying VFR in Sweden where i very seldomly have traffic surrounding me so what my instructor told me has been lost, i remember him telling me to scan the skies very slowly wich i take in account.

I would like to ask you what techniques, comments and ideas you have regarding this matter that sooner or later can get me into serious trouble!

Fly safe

Thanks alot
Özcan