PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 12th Jul 2007, 21:02
Uncle Ginsters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt,
I've just finished a tour as an instructor on one of the 'new' UAS's. That term alone is somewhat misleading as not too much has really changed.

- You still get to fly as much, or as little (important for some busy degree courses) as you want to.
- The opportunities for Adventurous Training are now greater than ever.
- Again, contrary to popular belief, the primary aim of the UAS is not to recruit pilots for the RAF, rather to develop high calibre young men & women who will be future leaders of industry (someone will have the exact wording and list of all 4 aims, i'm sure )

As mentioned, there is a plethora of information out there, but having recruited for the UAS i would suggest:

a. Research the UAS and the RAF as much as you can.
b. The interview WILL reach the limits of your knowledge - don't ever be afraid to say "I'm sorry, i don't know that", it shows that you know your limits and don't try to bluff (not a good characteristic for potential leaders, allegedly)
c. Try to be up to speed on current affairs.

In terms of entry numbers, every UAS has its own quota to fill each year. Just be the best you can, and if at first you don't get in, try again next year.
Hope some of this helps.

Uncle G