PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 'low fuel' MAYDAY
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2007, 17:18
Cuillin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest guys that you read the previous 7 pages on this subject and see what the majority of people's views are on this one.

I wouldn't expect to have to depend on LHR as a diversion either.

I assume from your comments then Virgin are allowed to eat into their alternate holding fuel at destination.

This 'event' should have been sorted out long before he got to GWC. He would have been well within range of a number of fuel stops while inbound ie Shannon, Cardiff etc.

There was nothing technically wrong with the aircraft and the weather was fine.

The one person who had got his fuel calculations wrong (and would be aware of lack of tailwinds, re-routings as a possibility) got a direct approach to Gatwick while everybody else (who had taken sensible amounts of fuel to allow for various possibilities) were delayed because of him. He was either unlucky or got it wrong so he was the one that should have taken the hit (a diversion).

There seems to be no serious pressure from Virgin on their crews in respect of fuel decisions so why did he leave it so tight?

There doesn't seem to be any cover in your arguments for the 'what ifs' that are included in any sensible command decision.

I would like to think that this crew won't get themselves into this situation again.