PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting on Final
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2007, 15:16
Knight Paladin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OC619 - spot on! You're right about glider pilots being happier at higher angles of bank with higher airspeeds, my views may well have been influenced by a fair bit of unpowered flight during my early flying experience. As well as being trained in the use of higher bank angles, merely seeing them used from the ground routinely probably affects the mindset of most glider pilots. I'm NOT suggesting people should go off and practice things they've seen from the ground without an instructor, just that most powered club-type pilots are very unlikely to see higher angles of bank used - with the obvious exception of those airfields reknowned for aerobatics.

xraf - Also spot on! Agree with you completely. The hard part would have to be persuading people to fly smaller circuits - with the size of many GA circuits, a go-around necessitates a lot more flying than with your typical tight military oval. However, I don't want this thread to drift onto the joys of oval RAF circuits and GA circuits outside the ATZ - been done to death before!