PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting on Final
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2007, 15:14
xraf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although it would take quite a big change I think this is something that should be altered. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

IMHO There should be no place for orbiting in any circuit, if you cant get in from finals, simply go around.

I remember a solo student years ago on basic training in the military who had a PPL, stating "I'll just orbit here at late downwind" when he should have continued to final and either got permission to land or roll or GONE AROUND.

He had an uncomfortable meeting with the Sqn Ldr, no coffee and biscuits, shortly after landing!

Unfortunately the civillian world has no such clear and simple procedure. I have often been asked to orbit in questionable circumstances, the other day LBA required me to orbit on downwind in a twin with a C172 ahead orbitting and a PA28 at TOC behind me also orbitting, the wx was average to cr*p and could easily have been a problem for a solo student.

I dont really wish to open the commercial versus GA debate which is often the reason for the request to orbit, (but go ahead if you like) what I'm suggesting is: As per RAF etc. just go around the circuit until you cant go any further then go around and rejoin the circuit and do it again, its simple, accurate and works universally.

The accident report above appears to relate simply to a go around request but as we know, anything out of the ordinary can quickly fill up the bottle if you're new.

Regards
Xraf