PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Technical - Balance Ball - I just don't get it
Old 12th Jul 2007, 14:49
OpenCirrus619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PompeyPaul
Therefore before hand I was slipping INTO the turn (i.e. turning more left) ?
Think about the 2 extemes in a car on ice:

You try and steer to the left - but as the wheels don't provide enough grip you skid towards the outside of the turn. You have moved the steering wheel too far left for the turn the car is actually making.
Compare this to a left turn with wings level - i.e. rudder only (yes I know you'll need right aileron to resist the roll - ignore it for the moment)

This time you are driving across a sloping car park covered in ice. The car wants to slide down the slope (left) and you are steering right to prevent it. Due to lack to grip the car slips into a turn to the left. In this case you have the steering not enough to the left (or too much to the right) for the left turn the car is actually making.
Compare this to being banked left and flying straight on with a load of right rudder to prevent any yaw.

For steering subsitute rudder. For the slope of the road / car park substitute bank. If you draw the force vectors you'll find its very similar.

Any clearer?

OC619

[Just realised while I was composing this another couple of posts got there first]