PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting on Final
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2007, 12:20
Dave Gittins

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Orbits on Base and Final

When I was flying into Luton, I regularly orbitted on left or right base to allow faster jet traffic to land (sometimes a whole stram of them if it was about 6.00 pm) while I waited for a gap in traffic to emerge.

I have also orbitted on final when it as been apparent that there is insufficient time for somebody slow in vacating to clear the runway before I arrive, thus an orbit saves a go-around and a full circuit and having to slot into traffic again.

I have also been in the VCR at Luton on one accasion when a Streamline "shed" did an orbit on final for 24 while a (I think) Monarch 76 went the full length and backtracked to B1. Again to avoid a go around and a full circuit.

(Edit on 13/7) Having now read the report in full, I still consider an orbit to be a perfectly normal manoever, esp under my circumstances above where traffic of greatly differing speeds are mixed. Obviously the first thing is to arrest the descent and get good flying speed with as much power as it takes, rememebering carb haet off and perhaps even carefully cancelling a stage of flaps.

DGG

Last edited by Dave Gittins; 13th Jul 2007 at 14:10.