PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots flying for US Carriers
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2007, 09:28
Airplane Crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't waste your money. I just wasted well over 200,000 grand going to school here. Airline here won't give you a chance of the day without greencard. If you think you can go back home and fly than you are good cause than at least you wouldn't waste your money.

As for me I took a big gamble and now I'm realizing my parents were right after all. My parents always said I'm too stupid to be a pilot. I don't meet the medical standards for back home, so I came here cause with FAA I can get Class 1 easy. Since I love flying I thouht I' take the chance. I finished college and got my CFI. Now I'm flight instructing, but given some of the sponsoship requirements for greencard most flight schools aren't eligable. It have to be a full time salary based job with full benifits. I was hoping I'd get lucky with regionals, but no. Now I'm broke and ofcourse when I go home in few months I'll have no career as I won't pass my medical back home.

So be careful how you invest cause you might just loose if you don't know what you are getting into. Now if you know the right people you are all set. I know at least people that fly for airline here who doesn't have greencard. One is currently in Republic training for EMB-170 and she only have F-1 OPT temporary work visa and her boyfriend is with MESA with the same visa. Three others are in the process of getting greencard. So it can be done. It's not impossible if you know the right people in the HR department, but other wise it is very unlikely.

So if some one says you almost have no chance they are right, but if they say absolutley no than they don't know what they are talking about caue I can prove that airline do sponsor pilots. I personally know a handfull number of people who got their greencard through part 141 school and airlines. One guy I know just got his greencard about two weeks ago through Embryriddle in Florida and his borther got his greencard though IFTA in bakersfield california not too long ago.

I'm having some luck with a regional, but time is my enemy righ now. Two of the cheif pilot for a regional knows me well and they are both working with HR to help me. The reason I'm in bad shape is because my current visa expires before they can apply. They can only apply for work visa on a certain time of the year which is April 1st. So know the right people on the right time and you might just make it. Otherwise if I were you 'd think twice before I invest money here cause if things doesn't work out you will waste a lot of money like me.

Plus I'd suggest when you get here start talking to an immigration consultant from the beginning to find out your options. You really won't find out much here cause here you have a lot of people who just love to talk when they don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited by Airplane Crazy; 12th Jul 2007 at 10:05.