PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Valedictory Letters - Oh sorry, here's a certificate instead
Old 12th Jul 2007, 09:14
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Pontious Navigator wrote:
Gus Walker didn't write and congratulate me on joining
Now there was a true gentleman, PN! A colleague had the honour of flying him when he was Inspector General of the RAF. He would spend the time en-route being briefed by his hard working ADC, who had prepared a "rogues gallery" of those of any rank that had served under him before, that he was going to meet on arrival. Walking down the guard of honour, he would suddenly stop in front of an airman, "lot of water passed under the bridge since you used to drive me around Gibraltar, Smith!", or some such. Smith of course was suitably impressed, as were his colleagues. Old style man management. Anyone else remember it? He could also be b. minded, though always for a good reason. He attended a Guest Night at Cranwell while CinC FTC, I think. The guest of honour was a German Luftwaffe General, who had served in the same rank under Hitler. Gus ignored him all night, despite sitting next to him! For those who don't know, he lost an arm attempting to rescue colleagues from a crashed Lanc while Stn Cdr Syerston.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 12th Jul 2007 at 09:35. Reason: Correcting history!