PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALPA: NO to Open Skies!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2001, 05:16
dallas dude

As usual, to those who really know what they're talking about, the guv makes a pratt of himself (I used to keep score but gave up when it became obvious he/she's a jack of all trades and a master of NONE).

For all...the Railway Labour Act (RLA) was IMPOSED upon the Airlines and Airline Unions in the Thirties. Unfortunately, this mechanism is indeed ill suited to airline pilot contacts but if anything, the advantage without question lies with the management (if guv was managemant material he'd know and understand this).

ALPA,APA and all the other US airline unions would MUCH RATHER fall under the National Labour Act (Board) where the negotiating playing field is at least level.

NLA contracts expire at their term's end, so they have to be re-negotiated PRIOR to expiration if employees are to be expected to continue working beyond its expiration date.

RLA contracts NEVER expire, they become amendable at the end of their term, usually every three or four years (SWA 10 years).

This means, for instance, if the contract is amendable in August 2001, from September 2001 the employees must continue to work under the old rules and payrates until a new contract is negotiated. Obviously, the longer management can extend these negotiations the better for them as the old payrate means a considerable saving in labour costs (i.e. no pay raises for 2-3 years).

There are many hoops to jump through before employees are able to exercise their right to strike (the only legal mechanism allowed), including years of mediation, a cooling off period (30 days), a Presidential Emergency Board (additional 60 days), possible Congressional contract imposition etc. etc.

As far as open skies is concerned, all that's needed is for more US Airlines to be given greater accesss to LHR (though I'm not sure why they'd want to go there).

The ball's been in the UK Government's court for many years.

Look at a map of oneworld. Where does BA NOT fly to (a Graham Taylor moment!)? They're everywhere and good luck to them!

If someone wants to compete, more power to them. Just don't sit in a pub and complain that the deck's stacked 'cos I've got my BS flag ready to be run up the pole.

dd