PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about letting our son do the PPL?
Old 11th Jul 2007, 14:26
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just went to the Wannabees forum and the general type of question is:

"I am <fill in age, typically 18 to 35>, I have decided I want to fly for the airlines and get into the LHS as soon as possible and I can get a bank loan/I have funds available. Integrated or modular?"

And these questions are then answered by people in the same situation, NOT by recruiters. But the general consensus seems to be that if you go integrated you've got a better chance of landing a job since the school will help you with your application through their contacts with the airlines.

The question posed here is more like "I have a son aged 15. He's crazy about aviation and might, in the future, once he's finished with school, consider an aviation career. Should we help him get his PPL now or is it better to wait till he's 18 and put him on an integrated course?"

Totally different situation. And until an actual recruiter explains to me why they would prefer a moderately enthousiast, minimum hours, integrated student above an aviation-crazy modular student, who soloed at 16, PPL-ed at 17 with a wide range of general GA experience, I'm not going to comment any further.