PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The B737 Landing Roll - F/O handling and Captain Hovering..
Old 11th Jul 2007, 14:02
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Centaurus, unusually for you 'a miss is as good as a mile'. Using reverse IDLE down to normal taxy speed has a significant effect on the amount of braking required and therefore on both brake life and temperatures. If you are familiar with reverse thrust, even on high bypass engines, you will be aware of this retardation as there is a noticable forward 'kick' when the reversers are stowed from idle. Therefore I follow both company and Boeing SOPs and leave them deployed down to taxy speed - where it assists with my required speed reduction. Where it don't I stows 'em.

A far as 'taking control' goes, I have found over the years of command that few F/Os judge braking for a planned (or required) exit correctly, and as someone has said above it is often necessary to take over 'early') to avoid either a hairy (very) high-speed exit or a funeral march to the next with someone up me chuff. I suspect it is yet another of those points glossed over or ignored during the rush to line train, and that is where 90% of the problems arise, as they will NOT find consistency on the line. I also suspect that the incorrect 'stowage' of reverse feeds through from line training too.

I would suggest that the random scatter of take-over should be viewed by F/Os as
what is generally accepted by competent well trained crews as commonsense airmanship