PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric stall warners
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2007, 13:46
Dave Gittins

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All those years ago when I was doing my training, it was common practise for my instructor to wait until I was downwind and then slap the black circular rubber sucker over the ASI and I was expected to complete the landing OK without it. (To calls of "Low and slow - lookout below" if I wasn't getting it right). Perhaps for that reason I tend to be heads up looking at the picture as I land, rather than heads down looking at the instruments.

I guess that after all these years and knowing what an aeroplane feels like on the point of stalling (slack controls, the attitude, the right picture and all that) means that the stall warner is one of the "instruments" I rely on least.
I suppose that is what the seat of your pants is for ... how long does it take get the "feel" ??

To digress a bit, one of our instructors in a chat on Saturday morning was saying how bad most airline pilots who want to fly a PA-28 are, as they are no longer instinctive aviators but systems operators, it having been perhaps decades since they flew a light aircraft.

(Hard hat to ON)