PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric stall warners
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2007, 09:29
FullyFlapped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, good to see the usual cross-section of Proon replies (i.e. some helpful, some wildly assumptive, some trotting out good-old standard cliches, and just a little sprinkle of "smart-arse" thrown in for good measure - although Mr. "little red flag" has obviously never seen a vacuum-activated system, and should restrain his smart-arsery until he's done a little more reading!).

OK, here's the background : a few days ago, I lost all electrical power within no more than 10 minutes of take off, despite taking down everything as quickly as possible once I'd noticed a continuous discharge. We lost everything, including radio, flaps, and - and here's the reason for the question - undercarriage. No 45 minute grace : could be the battery is duff, I don't know yet.

I deployed the undercarriage manually, but there is no way of knowing whether it's actually down and locked without power. I took us off to the longest hard runway I could find, made sure my wife was briefed and secure as possible, and then attempted the gentlest landing I've ever made : which means as slow as safely possible.

Down and safe, all's well that ends well etc. But it only occurred to me afterwards that once I'd got the speed nailed, and then cut the power for the hold off (as low as I dared), that I never heard the stall warner go off at all ... (didn't notice at the time, but I was kind of busy !)

Never mind, just wondered because you'd kind of expect them to have picked this up at design time ...

FF

Last edited by FullyFlapped; 11th Jul 2007 at 11:55.