PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time Off Work For Flight Training
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2007, 07:37
BigAl's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Davey147 says there are a few options open to you respecting leave from a full time job. I would just like to add a couple of points to consider regarding doing the ATPL's.

I am assuming you will do these via DL, as I am. Bear in mind there is a requirement to attend a two week (in most cases) 'brush up' course with your training provider, normally imediately prior to taking some of the exams. This all adds up to nearly three weeks continuous leave. Some employers may get a little twitchy about this others may not bat an eye lid !

The key would appear to be good forward planning, especially if you are really keen and you find yourself wanting to do both sets of exams within the same leave year!

A cautionary tale follows: I had booked the requisit time off with my current employer for the end of September, with exams the first week in Oct. No problems there, employer quite understanding and willing. The hitch has occured now that I am moving to a new company (NATS as it happens) and you guessed it, the start date I have been given is slap bang in the middle of my brush up course! Long and the short of it is, due to training, I will be unable to get the leave I need until March next year. Doh.

Sorry to wiffle on, but I hope this helps! Feel free to PM for any other waffle.

Regards,
Al

Last edited by BigAl's; 11th Jul 2007 at 07:38. Reason: Problem exists between chair and keyboard