PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where do the "shrinks" get this #*@#?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2001, 05:30
Kaptin M

Thumbs down Where do the "shrinks" get this #*@#?

Recently I was speaking with a company psychologist relation who informed me that "it is well known" that (cabin) crews who don't get on with each other, perform better than those who do, and that airline companies are being advised to roster their crews this way.
What a load of bollocks!!

My experience - and that's worth more imho, than the "studies" and results of questionairres upon which these conclusions have obviously been drawn - indicates that technical, and cabin crew, who "get along" achieve their objective more efficiently, more often, than those who are at loggerheads with each other. Now it would appear that I am not alone in my thinking, as Singapore Airlines (who have built their reputation as Number 1 for inflight service) utilise a "team" system for their cabin crews, and if a new member is introduced, the rest of the team see how well he/she fits in - if the new team member doesn't get on, then they are moved to another team by mutual agreement.

Each of us who has flown with in a multi-crew cockpit has experienced the "square peg in the round hole" crew member, and even with sops has realised that the operation displayed a lacklustre overall effect.

In an environment where Safety is always the overriding consideration, the opinion of psychologists spouting this sort of rubbish to airline management, needs serious debunking for EVERYONE'S sake.